Feeling stressed out and struggling to stay focused and concentrate at work? Well you’re not alone! Most of us have to deal with work-related stress at some time or another. Fortunately, mother nature has provided us with a simple solution – essential oils.
There’s been a lot of talk about about essential oils lately and there’s good reason for it – they work! Essential oils have been used in our homes for many years and are now being used increasingly in the workplace. It’s hard to deny their effectiveness. Especially, when there is an abundance of research to back up the effectiveness of the use of oils in a wide range different workplaces including hospitals, offices and schools.
So what is an essential oil?
Essential oils are highly concentrated plant extracts, that carry the actual essence of the plant which they come from. They are found in the peels, seeds, bark, stems, roots, flowers, and other parts of plants. Not only do they smell great, they also possess powerful medicinal qualities.
Five Ways To Use Essential Oils In The Workplace
- Feeling Stressed Out
On those days where everyone is uptight, projects are due, and you feel like everyone wants a piece of you, reach for a calming oil such as : Lavender (it is soothing and helps to build solidarity and strength), Bergamot (has a calming effect and relieves mild anxiety) or Vetiver (helps to focus and calm the mind). Stress Less Blend: 2 drop vetiver, 2 drop lavender, 2 drops Bergamot
2. Lacking Focus
Instead of reaching for another cup of coffee or chocolate to get through the afternoon, grab yourself an oil that will help with sharpen your mental clarity and alertness. The best oils to use for this are Rosemary (awakens the mind and improves concentration), Peppermint (provides an instant kick of energy), Lemon (enhances your mood), Ginger (relieves feelings of exhaustion), and Cypress (a natural remedy for restlessness). Focus Blend: 2 drops rosemary, 1 drop peppermint, 1 drop ginger.
3. Encourage Collaboration
Got a group project that is not going as well as you would like or that you really want to be successful? Introduce some heart opening oils into the mix to encourage connection, openness and collaboration. Ylang ylang (helps reduce feelings of jealousy and lack of confidence), Geranium (promotes positivity and connection), Mandarin (reduces nervous tension and is uplifting). Happy team blend: 2 drops Ylang ylang, 2 drops frankincense, Cedarwood.
4. Increase Workplace Productivity
It’s near impossible to work at your optimum level when there is negativity in the air. Enhance your physical space with an uplifting oil such as: Wild Orange (cheerful and invigorating), Grapefruit (a natural stress buster), Cinnamon (encourages positivity). Motivation Blend: 2 drops Wild orange, 2 drops Cinnamon, 1 drop Rosemary
5. Confidence Boost
For those times where you are doubting yourself and could do with an extra boost of confidence you can lean on Cedarwood (grounding and provides stability), Lime (promotes courage and boldness), Neroli (lifts your emotions and opens your mind to new possibilities), Frankincense (encourages you to be strong and let go of anything that isn’t serving you). Spicy oils like Ginger and Clove can add some extra zing into the mix for added excitement and motivation. Confidence blend: 2 drops Frankincense, 2 drops Lime, 2 drops Clove.
8 Innovative Ways to Integrate Essential Oils Into Your Workplace
- Put a diffuser in your office and take note as you instantly feel calmer and better equipped with your workload for the day.
- Place a couple of drops of oil onto a tissue and gently breathe in the oil’s aroma throughout the day.
- Keep a bottle of Peppermint or Wild Orange essential oil in your desk drawer so you can take a big sniff whenever you feel like you need a pick me up.
- Make up a few different spray bottles with your favourite essential oil combos to keep you working at your best no matter what’s going on. I recommend: 1) an Immune Booster: for those days when you can feel a sniffle or a throat tickle coming on 2) High vibes: to lift you energy 3) Calm Please: for when the stress levels are through the roof.
- Soak cotton balls with oil and place under your desk.
- Get yourself an essential oil diffuser bracelet.
- Add essential oils to a carrier oil and use it on your pulse points just like you would your favourite perfume.
- To combat stress, make up a roller bottle of your favourite blend and apply it throughout the day. The more you can support your body to relax the better.
If you are interested in learning other ways to utilise aromatherapy to increase productivity and combat stress drop me a line and I can send you some more information